Position Available: Scientific Communication Officer
The Institut Català de Nanotecnologia (ICN) is a non-profit research institute, created in July 2003, which works concurrently in Scientific Research (Nanoscience, primarily via European and national collaborative projects) and Technology Research (Nanotechnology, in areas of internal expertise and co-development with private industry). The ICN has been growing quickly, based on its strong success rate in attaining competitive grants at both national and EU levels, and is now seeking a Scientific Communication Officer to join the team. The new role will be primarily responsible for the preparation of written project proposals, press releases, publicity materials, articles for publication, and other dissemination and communication activities, both at project level and at an institutional level. This position requires a person with both scientific background and good communication skills and experience (particularly in English), dynamism and initiative, the ability to work independently and as part of a team, with an enthusiastic and flexible approach to work. Candidates should be thorough and meticulous in their approach to tasks in order to deliver a high quality professional service.
Tasks and responsibilities:
• Writing, correcting and editing texts of primarily scientific nature, for project proposals and reports, dissemination activities and institional reports such as the Annual Report and Scientific Plans.
• Producing and updating web and print-based promotional materials.
• Contribute to reviewing and evaluating marketing activities, events and materials, and recommending future initiatives.
• Other associated responsibilities as directed.
• A good honours degree (or equivalent) in Science Communication, Media or a related discipline; a PhD (or equivalent) is desirable, but not essential.
• Alternatively, candidates will also be considered who are able to demonstrate substantial experience in communication with a solid scientific educational background.
• Fluent English.
• Demonstrated highly effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including a well developed capacity to communicate to diverse audiences.
• A passion for science and an ability to communicate it to a wide range of audiences.
• Spanish and/or Catalan (written and spoken).
• Pro-active, responsible, capable of setting priorities, and of dealing with deadlines and periods of high workload.
• Excellent organisational and multi-tasking skills.
Salary, depending on qualifications and experience, will be within the range 25.000 – 30.000 € and the working hours 37,5 a week.
If you are interested in this position please send a letter of application together with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 9th, 2009.
Enquiries to Boaz Kogon, T: 93 586 8306; email@example.com