L’American Astronomical Society cerca comunicador científic. El termini per postular-s’hi és el 30 d’abril. A continuació detallem més informació tal qual ha estat publicada.
SCIENCE HIGHLIGHTS EDITOR AT THE AMERICAN ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY
The American Astronomical Society (AAS) seeks a knowledgeable, talented, and experienced science writer to help the Society deliver high-impact scientific results to the astronomical research community and to journalists who cover the astronomical sciences. The Science Highlights Editor’s principal role is to identify and maximize the exposure of the most intellectually engaging and potentially newsworthy science published in the Astronomical Journal and the Astrophysical Journal, Letters, and Supplement. The Science Highlights Editor will also work on the improvement/enhancement of AAS-relevant research communications and will provide occasional assistance, support, and backup to the AAS Press Officer.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
* Write three to five pithy, compelling, 300-word highlights each week to quickly convey important new astronomical findings to researchers and journalists, and promote them via tip sheets, press releases, social media, and/or other avenues as appropriate.
* Communicate regularly with AAS journal editors to identify the best journal articles to highlight.
* Communicate in a timely fashion with the AAS journal editor, author(s), and relevant public-information officer(s) to coordinate/collaborate on highlights and/or press release(s).
* Track coverage of highlighted papers in the news media.
* Build rapport with AAS team members, authors, and members, and with journalists who cover astronomy.
* Develop ways to improve/enhance AAS-related research communications, especially but not exclusively in support of the AAS journals.
* Assist/back up the AAS Press Officer in managing the AAS press-release-distribution service and in organizing and hosting press conferences at AAS meetings.
* Work with the rest of the AAS Communications team to add, edit, and maintain scientific content on the AAS website and related online resources.
* Ability to absorb complex material, synthesize information, and write short articles that concisely reflect key points of the materials to a target audience; keen eye for detail and accuracy; knowledge of and experience with AAS journals preferred.
* Experience in science writing for knowledgeable enthusiasts in trade or national press, and/or a professional qualification in science journalism (preferred).
* Experience working with graphics and in multimedia science communications, including online, audio, and/or video.
* Advanced degree in physical sciences, astronomy/astrophysics preferred.
* Strong interpersonal and team-working skills to ensure timely communication with the AAS team, journal editors, authors, and authors’ institutional public-information officers.
* Efficient time management with an excellent ability to manage competing priorities and ability to execute responsibilities with minimal supervision.
* Good working knowledge of, and/or ability to quickly master, tools such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Drupal, and Google Apps.
* Must possess or obtain a valid US passport within 90 days of employment.
The AAS offers the following benefits: medical coverage (including vision and prescription drug plan), life insurance, dental coverage, disability insurance, tuition reimbursement, and AAS contributions to a TIAA-CREF retirement plan after one year of employment with the AAS. These benefits, except for tuition reimbursement and AAS contribution to the retirement plan, will be effective on the first day of the month following your hire date.
If you feel you are qualified and would like to apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Més informació fent clic aquí.